Sunday, May 8, 2011

Dear Mom,

When I think back on my childhood this is what I remember:

I remember watching you put your makeup on and thinking that you were the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

I remember hearing you sing in the car and believing with my whole heart that your voice was just like an angel.

I remember the smell you had when you would come home from a trip. (Looking back, I think it might have been cigarette smoke but I remember loving it!)

I remember how you would cuddle me when I would climb in your bed in the middle of the night.

I remember the way you would play with my hair when I would lie on your lap during church.

I remember how you would take care of me when I was sick.

I remember missing you when you had only gone to the store.

I remember how good you were at sounding happy when you would answer the phone (even if I knew you really weren’t)

I remember you waking me up for school and telling me to hurry up and get dressed because you had a surprise for me. When I would get downstairs you would tell me that the surprise was that I didn’t have to go to school. Instead, we would go shopping together.

I remember how clean the house always was and how calm you always seemed.

I remember how proud I felt when you would show up in my classroom and all the kids would look at me with stars in their eyes and say, “Is that your Mom?”

I remember you teaching me how to walk in high heels.

I remember seeing your motherly instincts kick into high gear when my PE teacher wouldn’t let me get a Kleenex during gym class.

I remember the way you would always forget that we were supposed to be grounded.

I remember hearing you laugh a lot.

I remember when your jaw got locked while we were watching a very moving episode of “Little House On the Prairie”

I remember how you would manipulate me to scratch your back by telling me that you heard I was the best at it.

I remember the confidence I felt inside when I would overhear you telling a friend on the phone how amazing I was at something I had done.

I remember how easy it was for me to convince you that I was too sick to go to school.

I remember how when I couldn’t find anything to wear you flew me to London to get clothes at Harrods.

So many memories from so long ago, but some things never change.

I still think you’re beautiful. You still take care of me when I’m sick. You still pretend to be happy when you answer the phone. I still miss you when you go to the store. We still go shopping together. You still try to get me to call in sick. You still laugh a lot and every once in a while I still hear you talking about how great I am to someone on the other end of the phone. I couldn’t imagine having a better Mom than you. You are my best friend.

I couldn’t end this letter without reminding you who else you’re creating memories for. You have given my 4 children something that I never had….an Ama. An Ama is so much better than a Grandma. An Ama pulls the cushions off of the couch and has slumber parties with you. An Ama takes care of you when you’re sick. An Ama thinks you are the smartest, funniest & cutest kid on the planet. An Ama makes sure you are wearing the coolest fashions. An Ama becomes obsessed with buying whatever you are collecting. An Ama cries when you have had a hard day at school. An Ama never comes back from a trip without presents for you. An Ama makes sure you are eating vegetables and taking vitamins. An Ama schedules your flu shot and then buys you a present for being so brave. An Ama makes you goody bags before a long car trip. There is nothing in this world like an Ama. You have become one of the most important people in this entire world to four precious little ones. To Kade, Kennedy, Kaja, and Kenzington you cannot be replaced.

Happy Mother's Day Mom. I love you!

1 comment:

  1. What a touching letter to your mother. She sure is worth writing about. What a wonderful, fun, hip sounding mother. My only regret is that I have yet to meet her!

    ReplyDelete